Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Best Quotes by Charles Dickens


See also The Best Victorian Literature, Over 100 Books on DVDrom

Join my Facebook Group

If there were no bad people, there would be no good lawyers.

Charity begins at home, and justice begins next door.

There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.

I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.

I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. ~Great Expectations

The men who learn endurance, are they who call the whole world, brother.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it to anyone else.

The whole difference between construction and creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists.

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.

The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.

There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast.

There is a wisdom of the head, and a wisdom of the heart.

Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. I was better after I had cried, than before--more sorry, more aware of my own ingratitude, more gentle. ~Great Expectations

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.

What greater gift than the love of a cat.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.~A Tale of Two Cities

To conceal anything from those to whom I am attached, is not in my nature. I can never close my lips where I have opened my heart.

Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger, it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!~Great Expectations

I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul.”~A Tale of Two Cities

Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.~David Copperfield

Ask no questions, and you'll be told no lies.~Great Expectations

Family not only need to consist of merely those whom we share blood, but also for those whom we'd give blood.

The most important thing in life is to stop saying 'I wish' and start saying 'I will.' Consider nothing impossible, then treat possiblities as probabilities.

A man is lucky if he is the first love of a woman. A woman is lucky if she is the last love of a man.

I stole her heart away and put ice in its place.~Great Expectations

I looked at the stars, and considered how awful it would be for a man to turn his face up to them as he froze to death, and see no help or pity in all the glittering multitude.~Great Expectations

Moths, and all sorts of ugly creatures, hover about a lighted candle. Can the candle help it?~Great Expectations

In a utilitarian age, of all other times, it is a matter of grave importance that fairy tales should be respected.

Please, sir, I want some more.~Oliver Twist

[Credit is a system whereby] a person who can't pay, gets another person who can't pay, to guarantee that he can pay.

We forge the chains we wear in life.

I know enough of the world now to have almost lost the capacity of being much surprised by anything.

Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true.

Such is the influence which the condition of our own thoughts, exercises, even over the appearance of external objects. Men who look on nature, and their fellow-men, and cry that all is dark and gloomy, are in the right; but the sombre colours are reflections from their own jaundiced eyes and hearts. The real hues are delicate, and need a clearer vision.~Oliver Twist

Dreams are the bright creatures of poem and legend, who sport on earth in the night season, and melt away in the first beam of the sun, which lights grim care and stern reality on their daily pilgrimage through the world.~Nicholas Nickleby

Some people are nobody's enemies but their own.~Oliver Twist

I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss, and, in their struggles to be truly free, in their triumphs and defeats, through long years to come, I see the evil of this time and of the previous time of which this is the natural birth, gradually making expiation for itself and wearing out...~A Tale of Two Cities

“He would make a lovely corpse.”~Martin Chuzzlewit

I care for no man on earth, and no man on earth cares for me.~A Tale of Two Cities

All partings foreshadow the great final one.~Bleak House

For a list of all of my disks and digital books (Amazon and PDF) click here

No comments:

Post a Comment