Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Robinhood App on This Day in History


This Day in History: The stock trading app Robinhood launched on this day in 2013, and it has changed an industry in the process. The company offers a service that gives people the ability to invest in stocks, ETFs, and options without the fees. Prior to this, zero-commission stock trading was unheard of. Robinhood now has 10 million users, and as a consequence, the big boys, such as E-Trade, TD Ameritrade and Charles Schwab finally bit their lip and started offering free stock trading as well. I use Robinhood primarily to trade (yup, I'm a Featherhead) but I also use the Public app to buy fractional shares, (I also have accounts with TD Ameritrade and Interactive Brokers [also free]). This change in the industry has allowed the little guy (like me) to take an interest in the Stock Market. Many complain that Robinhood has less research features, but that's why I use Finviz, Yahoo Finance, Chartmill, Marketwatch, Stocktwits, Stockmaster etc for that. One day, when things get back to normal and my wife and I start making money again, I will get back into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment