Sunday, June 7, 2020

English Writer E. M. Forster on This Day in History


This Day in History: English writer E. M. Forster died on this day in 1970. He wrote "A Room with a View" and "Howard's End" which became two of my favorite movies. I simply find myself comforted when I watch these films, like hot tea on a cold winter day. I love the Edwardian time period. It's a snapshot of time before the hell that became the 20th century. I'm not alone. I know people that flew to Italy to try and recreate "A Room With a View." "A Room with a View" won three Academy Awards. "It is an intellectual film, but intellectual about emotions: It encourages us to think about how we feel, instead of simply acting on our feelings." Roger Ebert. Ebert also included Howard's End in his list of Great Films, calling it a film about the art of conversation. It also won three Academy Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment