Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Knowledge and Death


From Devout Thoughts by Deep Thinkers 1867

"When I die I must depart not only from sensual delights, but from the more manly pleasures of my studies, knowledge, and converse with many wise and godly men, and from all my pleasure in reading, hearing, private exercises in religion, &c. I must leave my library and turn over those pleasant books no more: I must no more come among the living, nor see the faces of my faithful friends, nor be seen of man: houses, and cities, and fields, and countries, gardens, and walks, will be nothing as to me. I shall no more hear of the affairs of the world, of man, or wars, or other news, or see what becomes of that beloved interest of wisdom, piety, and peace, which I desire may prosper, &c.

"But I would answer that, though these delights are far above those of sensual sinners, yet, alas! how low and little are they! Hew small is our knowledge in comparison of our ignorance! and how little doth the knowledge of learned doctors differ from the thoughts of a silly child! For from our childhood we take it in by drops; and as trifles are the matter of childish knowledge, so words, and notions, and artificial forms do make up more of the learning of the world than is commonly understood; and many such learned men know little more of any great and excellent things themselves than rusties that are contemned by them for their ignorance. God and the life to come are little better known by them, if not much less, than by many of the unlearned. What is it but a child's game that many logicians, rhetoricians, grammarians, and other philosophers, in their eagerest studies and disputes, are exercised in? Of how little use is it to know what is contained in many hundreds of the volumes that fill our libraries! Yea, or to know how many of the most glorious speculations in physics, mathematics, &c., which have given some the title of virtuosi and ingeniosi, in these times, who have little the more wit to live to God, or overcome temptations from the flesh and the world, and to secure their everlasting hopes: what pleasure or quiet doth it give to a dying man, to know almost any of their trifles."—Baxter.

For a list of all of my disks and ebooks click here

No comments:

Post a Comment