Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Use of Saliva in Medicine


As posted in The American Journal of Clinical Medicine, April 1922

For a long time, there has slowly been dawning on my consciousness the belief that in human saliva we have a remedial agency of more than ordinary merit. As it is impossible to supply this from natural sources, it has occurred to me to ask if, among your expert chemists, a synthetic saliva could not be made in the laboratory sufficient to supply the needs of the physician or the trade.

I will now briefly outline my observations and experiences with saliva and leave the subject with you.

Years ago, while engaged as teacher in the Ohio public schools, I noticed after each sudden weather change (and they came often) a great deal of catarrhal trouble. There was much mouth-breathing on the part of the pupils, for the nose was occluded with inspissated mucus and the usual discharge in catarrh.

To relieve this obstruction of the nose, those afflicted would moisten their fingers with saliva and gently work these up among the crusts and finally dislodge them. Later, I noticed the free application of saliva in the same manner to the tender membrane of the nose. So, my deductions were that saliva was a soothing remedy in such cases; for, the sore membranes received the saliva and made no complaint.

Trying it on myself, I found this more soothing and curative than warm water or salves. For many years, I suffered from protruding and bleeding piles. I used many remedies with only temporary relief. One time, I tried the hypodermic treatment to the piles, but experienced no improvement. Later, the knife was used, but the results were disappointing. After months of this, I went to the Tacoma General Hospital where, under general anesthesia, I was relieved of an enormous mass of hemorrhoidal tissue and am now practically well.

In all my previous suffering and after my operation, no application was so soothing to the tender parts as saliva applied on toilet paper. I could not cause the protruded pile mass to recede above the internal sphincter unless the toilet paper was first well moistened with saliva before pressure was made in reduction. So, I conclude that saliva is a safe and proper application to tender rectal mucous surfaces.

In the Scriptures is given the history of a case of human blindness cured by the application to the eyes of clay moistened with spittle. Now, when a statement of cure is made and the ingredients of the prescription are given, it is fair for us, who apply this prescription, to make a scientific analysis of the ingredients so as to have an intelligent understanding of what is being used. The prescription contained—

Clay and
Human spittle (saliva)

Now we know that moist clay is hygroscopic and dehydrating—really a remover of swelling and tumescence found in inflamed human tissues. That clay has this power of reducing heat and swelling, is demonstrated in the literature of Antiphlogistine—which, by the way is a refined clay. Now moisten clay with human saliva and you have an ideal eye salve. The wet clay takes out the swelling and, with it, discoloration and pain. The saliva, with its healing qualities for mucous surfaces, does the rest.

This is a bona fide, scientific prescription, and it needs no miracle to treat ophthalmia. So far as the human family goes, these are my deductions. In the animal world, it is a well known fact that animals cure their wounds by licking them, keeping them always covered with saliva.

C. S. Cope

For a list of all of my digital books and books on disk click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment