Tuesday, September 29, 2015
The Johannine Prologue in Archbishop Newcome's Corrected New Testament John 1:1-18
The New Testament in an Improved Version Upon the Basis of Archbishop
Newcome's New Translation with A Corrected Text, 1808
[A Revision of Archbishop Newcome's New Testament, taken over by the
Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge]
1. The Word was in the beginning, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
2. This Word was in the beginning with God.
3. All things were done by him; and without him was not any thing done that hath been done.
4. By him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5. And the light shone in darkness; and the darkness overspread it not.
6. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7. This man came for a testimony, to testify of the Light, so that through him all might believe.
8. He was not that Light, but was sent to testify of that Light.
9. That was the true Light, which having come into the world is enlightening every man.
10. He was in the world, and the world was enlightened by him, and yet the world knew him not.
11. He came to his own; and yet those who were his own received him not.
12. But as many as received him, to them he gave authority to be the children of God, even to them who believe in his name:
13. who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, [nor of the will of man], but of God.
14. And the Word was flesh, and full of kindness and truth he dwelt among us: and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only son who came from the Father.
15. John bare witness of him and cried, saying, "This is he of whom I said, 'He who cometh after me, is before me, for he is my principal.'"
16. For of his fulness we all received, and favour for favour.
17. For the law was given by Moses; but favour and truth were by Jesus Christ.
18. No man hath seen God at any time; the only [Son] that is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
[++ and the Word was a god.] "was God," Newcome. Jesus received a commission as a prophet of the Most High, and was invested with extraordinary miraculous powers.
But, in the Jewish phraseology, they were called gods to whom the word of God came. John X. 35. So Moses is declared to be a god to Pharoah. Exod. vii. 1. Some translate the passage, God was the Word. q.d. it was not so properly he that spake to men, as God that spake to them by him. Cappe, ibid. See John x. 30, compared with xvii. 8, 11, 16; iii. 34; v. 23; xii. 44. Crellius conjectured that the true reading was the Word was God's, q.d. the first teacher of the gospel derived his commission from God. But this conjecture, however plausible, rests upon no authority.]
For much more information go to
The New World Translation Companion Disk
or The Trinity Doctrine & Christology - Over 320 Books on the on TWO DVDroms